Saturday, February 03, 2007

Ramsey Lewis - Legends of Jazz - Showcase - 2006



In June 2006, for the first time in more than forty years, live jazz music returned to national television with "Legends of Jazz." A new weekly performance series on PBS hosted by jazz great Ramsey Lewis, each show would have a theme ("The American Songbook," "The Piano Masters," "Latin Jazz," etc.) and feature live and uncut musical performances by top artists. And in the span of only a few short episodes, "Legends of Jazz" certainly lived up to its name. Appearing together -- some for the first time -- guests included Tony Bennett, Al Jarreau, Keb' Mo', David Sanborn, Chris Botti and Robert Cray.

But I enjoyed every one of these performances, though some more than others. Since I'm not much of a "scat" man, I generally preferred the slower, more moody numbers. Chris Botti's take on the standard "My Funny Valentine" was elegant, even sans vocals, while "Mumbles" turned me into a Clark Terry fan, even though I'd never heard of him before. Jane Monheit gives a lovely vocal performance on "They Can't Take That Away from Me," and then there is Robert Cray, who I just love to watch play, along with Keb' Mo', tearing through "12 Year Old Boy." Loved it. 55 minutes of different jazz artists!



No comments: